Monday, October 6, 2008

General Conference



Scott and Wes flew up to Salt Lake City to join the priests quorum who left here on Thursday night. They arrived around 10pm. They had a great time! Saturday morning found them taking a wet hike to Timpanogos Cave. They didn't seem to mind the rain at all! What a beautiful hike!
They were able to go to BYU in the afternoon, where they watched the afternoon session of conference.
Saturday evening they attended the Priesthood session at the Conference Center--what an awesome opportunity. To be in the presence of a prophet and apostles of the Lord!!! We are so fortunate, our youth are so blessed. I'm so thankful that they were able to make this trip together as a quorum.
After the conference, they headed to a Brazilian restaurant for a late dinner. Bishop, Rob, and Scott all served missions in Brazil so they were very excited to take the boys there. Those boys ate alot of meat! Sadly after one round of Guarana, they were sold out! Taylor G had 17 candles on a fried banana in celebration of his birthday!
Mark has pictures of the conference and the restaurant that I will try to collect and post later!


While the boys were away, we watched conference, continued our tradition of putting a puzzle (Eric Dowdle's are our favorites) together while watching--although we didn't get nearly as far as when the boys are here, we joined friends out for dinner on Saturday night at the new Mexican place at Hasley Crossroads--tasty tamales on the weekends, and baked cookies. We were uplifted by the words of the prophet and our leaders. I was excited to hear about the new temple announcements in Rome and in Kansas City. I particularly enjoyed Elder Wirthlin's talk, Come what may and love it! I also noticed many of the talks mentioned the Saints in Nauvoo and the trek West--maybe they mention them every conference and I'm just not as aware, but it hit a chord with me this time after having it so fresh in my mind. I am so grateful for the sacrifices that have been made throughout the course of church history. I am inspired by their great faith. It was truly uplifting to watch conference to help spiritually prepare ourselves for what may lay ahead.

3 comments:

Reeser5 said...

That is awesome! They are so lucky!! That is an experience, I am sure, they will never forget!

Stacy said...

Looks like a fun trip.
I loved Elder Wirthlin's talk too. That story about his daughter's blind date was hilarious! =)

themechams said...

Too funny, we were up at conference too. We were glad Bret got to go to his first priesthood session 'live', so to speak.
I know excatly where your boys ate ... at the gateway mall upstairs. We were at the mall too, to meet the guys after priesthood. Small world, but this time not small enough. Too bad we didn't run into Scott and Wes.
Also Elder Wirthlin's talk was my favorite. I was at that session with the girls and all three of us agreed that was our favorite on Saturday!