Thursday, March 26, 2009

Every 15 Minutes




West Ranch High School participated in the Every 15 minutes program today. We were honored that Wes was asked to be a "victim." 26 students were chosen to either be in a mock drunk driver car accident or to be pulled from class by the grim reaper in representation of DUI deaths amongst teenagers. Two sheriffs knocked on our door around 9:45 this morning to present a death notification to us. I was fully prepared, knowing this would happen, but at the time my heart was still racing, my hands went ice cold and I was trembling. I listened to the words, "Your son was involved in a car accident this morning caused by a drunk driver and he did not survive, is there anything we can do?" All I could say was, just tell us again that this is not real, and all part of the program. And that's exactly what he told us, but it didn't stop tears welling up in my eyes, feeling the implication of such a loss. Today has been an odd experience, different than I had anticipated. The sheriffs then invited us to come view the "mock crash scene", which was very well done. Firemen used the jaws of life to rescue injured teens from the cars, ambulances sped away with them as soon as they were extricated, casualties were put in body bags and transported away by the coroner, a field sobriety test was administered, and the driver was handcuffed and taken away. The kids and public officers did a great reenactment of the scenario.

Wes and others had makeup applied to appear "dead" after being taken from class and were not allowed to speak the rest of the day.





We definitely left impacted...but when we came home and watched his mock obituary played on WRTV, it was heartwrenching to realize what other parents have suffered, when these accidents could have been easily prevented. You can watch it HERE.
Wes will spend the remainder of the day and evening being immersed in the consequences of driving while intoxicated. He will watch as a fellow student portraying the driver is sentenced in court and he will visit a memorial for teenagers that have lost their lives. He will hear stories from parents that have lost their sons and daughters this way. Tomorrow we will participate in a similar assembly. I imagine Wes will be forever changed. We hope those around him will be also.

2 comments:

Alli grins said...

Oh my! I can't imagine the impact this experiment had on everyone involved. Wow! The white "death makeup" is especially attention-getting (unless there are those who wear it everyday;-) I hope none of us every have a real experience with a drunk driver!

On an unrelated note, I tagged you on my "OH NO" post on my blog. Take a peek for all the details when you have a minute. I think seeing everyone's pictures will be fun. Hope you are all doing well! Miss you...

themechams said...

April, Just reading this gave me chills. I love/hate it. So powerful, but almost too much to think about. What a great experiment for your kids.